Chicks on Lit

Written by and for women who read books other than romance novels. And like them.

Monday, March 19, 2007

I'll Start Off

Like I already said, I really liked this book. It's one of those books that make you think, and even if you don't agree with some of the arguments, you have to admit they are VERY thought out.

I think the part I found most interesting is why drug dealers live with their mother. It gave a very detailed view of the drug-dealing hierarchy and bashed a lot of my Hollywood-ized images of what really goes on. As well as how much of it is status, luck, stamina, etc, of the "employees." (OMG, that part reminded me so much of corporate america in some aspects, it's scary!!!)

What about you?

2 Comments:

At Mon Mar 26, 08:49:00 AM EDT, Blogger Lizzy Wednesday said...

The whole point that Levitt & Dubner were making was that, in that particular "franchise" of that particular crack gang, the "franchise manager" was college educated. With a degree in business. So, he (logically) applied the business principles he'd studied to the business of the street. Weird, sure. But it makes sense from a power-money-demand-supply POV.

 
At Tue Apr 03, 01:14:00 PM EDT, Blogger Sara Crecelius (AND YOU GUYS!) said...

True... But, doesn't it almost remind you of a pyramid scheme too?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home