Chicks on Lit

Written by and for women who read books other than romance novels. And like them.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

John Adams

I usually don't pick up nonfiction, especially biographies, but I'd been interested in learning about John Adams, the 2nd President of the United States (among other honors), since I saw the way his character was painted in the movie version of the musical 1776 . . . and, of course, with the tricentennial of Benjamin Franklin's birth last January 17th, Founding Father Fever was in full swing!

(Yes, I realize this strikes many of you as odd. This is how my brain operates. Deal with it.)

I really enjoyed learning about this "Founding Father" once I got past the complete vehicle change from fiction-fiction-fiction to biography-by-a-historian. David McCullough's style was kind of dry and scholarly at points, but, all-in-all I will say that I really enjoyed reading the book.

I'm not sure what my next project will be, but I might want to look for a published collection of his and Abigail's correspondence; they were fascinating! No other First Lady features as prominently in her husband's private and public faces as Abigail before the 20th Century and Eleanor Roosevelt. (True, Dolly Madison saved some paintings and important papers, and I don't begrudge her that, but what else do we hear about her? And how many of today's 30-somethings only associate her name with ice cream?)

Anyway, if you're interested, definitely pick this book up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home