Chicks on Lit

Written by and for women who read books other than romance novels. And like them.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Other Boleyn Girl

Usually, I'm not one for historical fiction. I hate the way the thees, thines, and thous get thrown in merciously into works just so they sound posh. As I said to Lizzy the other day, I can guarentee if some mother was reprimanding a kid in Henry the 8th's time, she did not say, "Make sure thou dost not do that again. Otherwise I shall punish thee." No, they would say, "Pick up that cake RIGHT NOW!"

The Other Boleyn Girl did not make me cringe. It made sense. There were a couple highnesses and the like, but DUH, it's the court, of course there would be. Plus, it's a fascinating story. A fictionalized story about Mary Boleyn and her role in Anne Boleyn's rise to the throne.

I highly suggest taking a crack at this book. It's not a "quick read," but it's worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home