Chicks on Lit

Written by and for women who read books other than romance novels. And like them.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Oh Our Poor Little Neglected Book Site!

Anyway, enough with the lamenting.

Not everyone had the three solid weeks' worth of vacation time I did, so not all of us had the time or the wherewithal to spend catching up on our reading lists.

Of course, every time I visit the bookstore, I make a list of books I intend on buying because I want to read them (or re-read them, as the case may be), and I do occasionally indulge in a copy of something for myself. Especially if they're running one of those "buy # get # free" deals that I'm such a sucker for.

Anyway, I recently finished reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards.

Ordinarily, this isn't the type of book I'm burning to read, nor is it usually the type of book I usually pick up or even recommend.

However, there are exceptions to every rule and seeing as how this is yet another example of how self-publishing a novel can get someone noticed (see Christopher Paolini's Eragon, which is now a major motion picture, for the other example in recent years) I figured it was worth a try. Plus, parts of the story actually hit very close to personal experiences. (No, I was never a nurse, or from Kentucky, nor did I ever live in Pittsburgh or West Virginia; I am not a twin, nor are any of my relations physics professors or orthopaedic surgeons or Julliard-trained classical musicians . . . well, that's not entirely true, but seeing as how I've never met Nana's cousin Walter, that's a moot point. More than that I will NOT say.)

You can get the plot summary from Amazon, or from the cover-copy, but whichever you choose, it's a very interesting book. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did, nor did I think I would connect with it as I had. Ms. Edwards is a thoughtful, sensitive and careful writer, who I would love to read again.

And now, back to the biography of John Adams I promised to lend to my grandmother when I'm finally finished with it.

3 Comments:

At Wed Jan 03, 07:03:00 PM EST, Blogger Sara Crecelius (AND YOU GUYS!) said...

I keep looking at it in the bookstore, but I got it confused with the Time Traveller's Wife, I think. I didn't like that one. I'll try to remember to pick it up. (If my brain will allow itself to unfry.)

 
At Fri Jan 05, 12:51:00 PM EST, Blogger Lizzy Wednesday said...

I actually did enjoy The Time Traveller's Wife for the way it plays off the old "grandfather paradox."

 
At Mon Jan 08, 08:41:00 PM EST, Blogger Sara Crecelius (AND YOU GUYS!) said...

There was something about it that I didn't like. I don't remember what. It's been a while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home