Chicks on Lit

Written by and for women who read books other than romance novels. And like them.

Friday, November 30, 2007

Phases . . .

So, I go through phases.

Sometimes they'll be genre phases and I'll read only reimagined fairy tales for months on end. Other times, it'll be a phase where I absolutely MUST read all the available paperbacks by a particular author.

Yet other times it's book-as-comfort-food.

The last "phase" I went through was my Christopher Moore phase.

Christopher Moore is one of the single most irreverent, witty, funny, sick and brilliant writers I've ever had the pleasure to read. And re-read.

Recently, I've become a collector of paperbacks by Christopher Moore.

It all started when I was admiring the super-special, faux-leather bound, gilded, gift-edition of Lamb. At $19, and an immediate need to purchase train tickets and an additional book for the train ride and any down time during a weekend trip to Boston, I wasn't going to shell out.

So, I walked further back into the stacks to find the less pricey versions.

And walked out with both Lamb and Practical Demonkeeping.


I laughed my ass off while reading both of them.


Maybe I'm sick because I appreciate this kind of weird, twisted, sick and demented brand of genius.

In the event you are too, I highly recommend:

Practical Demonkeeping
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (A Novel)
Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story
A Dirty Job

Clo is supposed to be reading Coyote Blue to let me know if I should buy it.

But I think there are a couple more by Moore on my "to buy" list. . .

2 Comments:

At Sun Dec 16, 07:45:00 AM EST, Blogger Sara Crecelius (AND YOU GUYS!) said...

Coyote Blue is pretty good. I also got a hardcopy of The Stupidest Angel just yesterday. I'll let you know. And Fluke is in my shelf currently. :o)

 
At Fri Dec 21, 10:25:00 AM EST, Blogger Lizzy Wednesday said...

Maybe my love of pitch-black dark comedy and horror films has something to do with why I love Chris Moore so much.





Either that or I am just as sick and demented as my grandmother thinks I am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home