Chicks on Lit

Written by and for women who read books other than romance novels. And like them.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Let Us Not Emulate Michiko at The NY Times

Michiko Kakutani by Slate's Ben Yagoda gets exactly to the heart of why I don't enjoy reading reviews she's written.

Sometimes, when reading a review of a book I actually have read, and, more importantly enjoyed, I somehow get the feeling of having entered her office at the venerable Times mid-rant and, possibly, mid-throw as a wastebasket comes hurtling towards my head.

Often, I feel she misses the point of some of the books she's reviewed. Not every writer esteems to become a literary giant; in fact, some of us might even revel in our obscurity, writing for the pleasure of writing. And many readers simply read for enjoyment, rather than enlightenment, although the latter may happen along the way.

It's too bad; she's got a lot of potential to be great.

3 Comments:

At Tue Apr 11, 09:20:00 AM EDT, Blogger Sara Crecelius (AND YOU GUYS!) said...

I agree with Liz. When she and I talked about this site, one of the most important things to us was that all voices would be heard. I know I personally can be one of those people that buy a book for the cover, and sometimes am pleasantly surprised. In the same vein, sometimes I will pick up a book because it's a quick read or a fun read, not necessarily because it has that little medal sticker on the front cover, proud of its bragging rites given to it. So, if you read a trashy romance novel that was pretty decent, share! If you read a campy cop and robbers book, do tell, don't limit yourself to what you can and can't say. And, please, for the sake of my wallet, if you read a book and think it's a piece of garbage, let us know that too.

 
At Fri Apr 14, 04:24:00 PM EDT, Blogger mernitman said...

Strange are the ways of the web.
I'm here because I read the Times article about Fibs... went there... read your comment... came here -- and had to laugh because having just not-read Kakutani's rant on Holmes, minutes ago, it was great to run into your post.

The shame is, Ms. K can actually be a good writer, and her book of profiles (The Poet at the Piano), with its wildly diverse interviews (e.g. David Byrne, Saul Bellow) has great stuff in it. But these days... the manner and size of that bug up her butt is truly disturbing.

I'm a former romance novelist (despite being a straight male) and you might find my blog amusing (www.livingromcom.typepad.com) -- at any rate, nice to meet you.

 
At Thu Jun 22, 08:45:00 PM EDT, Blogger Lizzy Wednesday said...

Oh wow. . .I love seeing how intermixed the web is! Now if I can remember that I turned on comment moderation, I'll be able to see everyone's comments when they post them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home